I ran my first Run Disney marathon a few years back and can honestly say “OMG I totally finished and I was NOT last!”. I can also say it was a fantastic experience. Aside from all the awesome Disney-ness that comes along with it one of the best parts was all the people who dressed up. Here are a few tips and outfit ideas for the upcoming Star Wars Half Marathon at Disneyland. See you there!
Run Disney Tips: I am no expert (yet!) but here are a few things my Husband and I learned from our first one.
1. Cut your toenails as short as possible without cutting off a toe – You will thank me later!
2. BioFreeze is your friend – Use it and Love it
3. Do not hit the parks like crazy before the race or have a ton planned the day after – We were silly and did 4 days of intense park hopping at Disney World before the race. Needless to say we were sore before we even ever laced up our sneakers. Yeah, we should have thought that through.
4. Mile 7-ish seems to be when you see the costumes piling up on the sidelines – Want to wear a costume for the run? Make sure you do a few test runs in it or make sure its cheap enough that if its tearing at your skin like a hungry Wampa you will not be sad to toss it. Comfort is key.
5. Hydration – Be Hydrated but don’t worry about carrying a ton of water with you. Disney is known for its customer service and the Run Disney experience is no exception. They have water and Gatorade at every mile. They also have energy gels and Tylenol and your new BFF BioFreeze.
Lastly .. Have fun! The feeling of completing the run is better then the high of knowing Kevin Smith cried on the new Star Wars set because JJ Abrams is doing it right! (PLEASE PLEASE don’t let me have to eat those words!) Now, On to the outfits.
For the Minimalist – Here is a way to show your Star Wars pride without donning a scratchy tutu or a hat that will make you sweat more.
For The New Mama – Dress the baby up while they still let you!
For The Animal Lover – Who wouldn’t love a lil’ Wookie in their life?